Access to Arts & Culture
From Detroit Techno to Afrofuturism, Detroit’s diverse creative scene has nurtured the city into a global beacon of arts, music and culture. But how inclusive and accessible is its cultural scene? In this topic, we’re looking at Access to the Arts & Culture.
Let’s examine the pulse of Detroit: How does the city’s boom and bust shape its vibrancy? How is art creating a more inclusive, supportive and active community? What infrastructure exists to establish global creative expression among struggling musicians and artists? How will the future of museums impact the consumption of cultural artifacts? What should a digital society meeting space look like for cultural workers, so that they can collaboratively discuss, design and experiment? Who should pay for it?
Let's playfully reinvent culture, test boundaries and impart knowledge. Together, we want to search for places of interest in the digital society, rethink artistic spaces and analyze how established cultural institutions, like libraries and museums, are frequented in Detroit. We are looking forward to multifaceted contributions from artists, cultural experts, representatives of cultural institutions and researchers.
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-30 minute excerpt of the award winning dance theater work written by poet Jessica Care moore, directed and choreographed by Aku Kadogo. Salt City takes place in an ancient salt mine in the past-future year, 3071. The dance theater work fuses poetry, techno and dance to elevate the conversation of the survival of indigenous people fighting against colonization and extinction around the globe.
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-This cross-continental conversation zooms in on the longterm perspective of our humanity, while taking a look at the here and now. The session aims to tackle the following:
- What are fresh global visions on the future of our humanity?
- Who is making decisions today for our society of tomorrow?
- How are we creating more equitable futures that level the global playing field?
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-Accessible 3D-print is here and available, yet the industrial revolution that was announced with it hasn’t taken place as we expected. How come? Changing the way we do things requires more than just having new technical possibilities at hand. Experts and users in each field have to discover the new applications in their own specific areas and convince themselves to take the leap and innovate, which requires openminded, courageous creativity.
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-Most people will sleepwalk into the fully sensing world of the smart city. This session asks what kind of technological futures we are heading toward and how are designers, activists, technologists and policymakers creatively and critically responding?
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-Lineup:
9 pm: Tammy Lakkis
10 pm: BEIGE
11 pm: John Collins (Underground Resistance)
1 am: Deepchord (live)
2 am: Tom Linder (Detroit Techno Militia)
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-Street Art is often unfairly relegated to the realm of the criminal and only recognized as a means of illegal, criminal, vandalistic artistic expression. This conceptualization is unfortunate because Street Art SHOULD be acknowledged as a legitimate art form and pillar of global creative culture.
CANVASxDetroit's BOUNDLESS Street Art installation offers everyone an opportunity to learn + fully engage in the creative process. Each participant will be able to contribute to the Street Art canvas.
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-In order for art to achieve maximum social impact, artists + government officials + corporations + non-profit organizations must work intelligently + collaboratively to envision + execute meaningful, accessible creative engagement opportunities that benefit ALL.
This session brings together key Detroit shareholders and international perspectives with the aim of identifying public barriers to art, collectively mitigating those factors, and creating solutions to improve art access/impact.
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-“Limbo; or Existing Between the Lines” is a collaborative presentation by Claudia Owusu and Kuukua Eshun exploring the complexities of home and the many forms it takes for a child in the African diaspora. Through the short films “How Did Home Receive You?” (2018) and “Artist, Act of Love” (2019), Eshun and Owusu take on themes of solitude, heartbreak, and loneliness to question what it means to pledge allegiance to a nation, a person, a point in time, or the self.
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-Since the 67 Uprising, the divides that separate Metro Detroit have significantly expanded. In recognition, the Detroit Historical Society launched Detroit 67. The Society collected the personal narratives of 500 Detroiters which became the backbone of the project. The exhibit, propelled by new levels of public engagement, embraced novel technology, digital avenues, and focused heavily on free web-based deliverables. This expanded commitment to accessible history was paramount to its success.
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-Detroit-based artists have impacted soul, country, rock, hip-hop, classical, jazz, blues, techno and pop music for many decades. Musical titans and household names like Aretha Franklin, the White Stripes and Big Sean hail from Detroit. Like other industries, Detroit's music scene is changing; weaving history, tech, art and soul into its new style. Join Motown Musician Accelerator, a new initiative for emerging artists, on an interactive walk through Detroit's world renowned music scene.
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-Calling artists, comics makers and comics enthusiasts - all experience levels! In this workshop participants will get to know one-another and work collectively to create several comic strips. Facilitated by Maamoul Press, a Detroit-based collective working in comics, printmaking and book arts, we will first engage in a group discussion about problems in the comics industry today and the power of comics as a tool for radical for-us-by-us storytelling, before diving into a fast-paced art workshop.
- Arts & CultureAccess to Arts & Culture-This research talk presents a multi-component index of access that measures accessibility of culture as a community resource to the diverse populations in urban areas.