Photo credits: Thomas Ecke
Business & Innovation
Beyond the buzzwords of Industry 4.0, Internet of Things or Big Data: these terms are standard in the discussion of how new technologies will change our daily life, particularly in the context of work. But simply name dropping doesn't really help us to understand what and exactly how technology is changing our world of work.
The types of careers and career development are influenced by the possibilities given to us by technologies, in striving for a work-life balance and the wish for co-working and alternative places of work. From video conference tools to websites and software, technology is enabling new forms of collaboration which makes cooperative project work with participants located all across the world easier and more realistic. How will technology steer and transform future means of cooperation? What is the future of professional collaboration?
This Track is all about the future of work, digital economy, new business models, and the role of innovation and entrepreneurship in our societies. We want to know: How is innovation changing the way we travel and trade? What could future means of cooperation be? Is digitization really helping economies leapfrog? We want to talk about platform economy and startup scenes - especially their impact on social sectors and the delivery of public services - but also about the effects of automation, the Internet of Things, entrepreneurial culture and its effects on society.
We are interested in hearing reports, analyses, research findings or other data driven reflections on these topics.
- Business & InnovationAccess to Work & New Economy-The session is a 30 minute “Ask me Anything” format where participants will have the chance to ask all they’ve ever wanted to know about small business lending and becoming an entrepreneur.
- Business & InnovationAccess to Work & New Economy-Venture Capital isn’t for everyone. But for those who pursue it, access to VC checks and other key funding opportunities is disproportionately distributed amongst entrepreneurs and markets - despite key success prereqs being met. Both developing ecosystems and underestimated entrepreneurs (women, people of color, and LGBTQ+) bear the brunt of these disproportionate markets. We walk through key tactics of how we are hacking the funding structure and creating next level opportunity.
- Business & InnovationAccess to Work & New Economy-Detroit and dance culture are synonymous. Motown songs and techno tracks bring positive energy to the mind and move the body, regardless of time and place. Yet in Detroit itself dancing is prohibited after 2 a.m. This discussion led by the Detroit-Berlin Connection aims to shed light on how local laws must be changed to allow 24 hour expression of what the city does best: innovate, create, change the world.
- Business & InnovationAccess to Work & New Economy-This is an interactive session on Detroit’s competitive advantage. Learn about the vision of the Detroit of Tomorrow, engage with those who are shaping the D!
- Business & InnovationAccess to Mobility & Urban Space-How well do we know our food, and the people who made it? In this session, we’re looking at access to food in Detroit and beyond - and the struggle of turning dependency into sovereignty.
- Business & InnovationAccess to Work & New Economy-What are the skills needed as leaders in the future of work? How do we strengthen the critical skills that complement data and tech skills in the new economy ? Explore how to apply a human-centered design framework to your personal and professional leadership. This workshop will share key design thinking principles as well as needed leadership skills to keep us at our growth edge, while providing an interactive opportunity to think creatively and design new dynamics of your own leadership.
- Business & InnovationAccess to Work & New Economy-What are 'diverse ways of thinking?' How can artistic intelligence help leaders produce innovative, imaginative ways of addressing 'wicked problems' or systemic issues?
Imagination is not one skill or muscle, but a system of capacities for perception, sensing, discernment, insight, activity, choice-making, and divergent synthesis. This interactive talk offers ways to think about a community or team's aggregate breadth of imagination, and suggests how artistic intelligence can catalyze more.
- Business & InnovationAccess to Work & New Economy-Now very close friends, Chanell Scott Contreras and Joanna Dueweke-Perez originally had a difficult time building a working relationship. Coming from different lived experiences, races, and positions within the company, the two had to make the radical choice of inclusion in order to get things done together. That path, however, was hard AF and fraught with vulnerability. It's not enough to "be a good person."