Access to Work & New Economy
Detroit’s industrial history lays the foundation for an emerging economy, one full of post-industrial businesses, startups, and plenty of new jobs. With an up-and-coming start-up ecosystem, how are funds, loans, cash flow and venture capitalism investments accessed? In turn, how do startup infrastructure, know-how of business acumen and growing digital capabilities play out? re:publica Detroit will be all about Access. In this topic, we want to explore Access to Work & New Economy.
Some of the questions we’re hoping to answer: How will a city like Detroit benefit from technological developments such as artificial intelligence in the working market? How can an afrofuturist approach to cryptocurrency be created in an accessible manner? How can digital technology contribute to business growth in Detroit and across the nation? Can Detroit become America’s richest city once again? What counterexamples are there to serve as models?
Whether green fintechs or social entrepreneurs, whether values-based business modeling or the SHEconomy – together,we want to critically evaluate the status quo of the working world, the digitisation of the economy and its impact on our consumption, culture and lifestyles. We are looking forward to reports, analyses, research findings and other data-driven reflections on these questions
- Business & Innovation-Venture Capital isn’t for everyone. But for those who pursue it, access to VC checks and other key funding opportunities is disproportionately distributed amongst entrepreneurs and markets - despite key success prereqs being met. Both developing ecosystems and underestimated entrepreneurs (women, people of color, and LGBTQ+) bear the brunt of these disproportionate markets. We walk through key tactics of how we are hacking the funding structure and creating next level opportunity.
- Business & Innovation-Detroit and dance culture are synonymous. Motown songs and techno tracks bring positive energy to the mind and move the body, regardless of time and place. Yet in Detroit itself dancing is prohibited after 2 a.m. This discussion led by the Detroit-Berlin Connection aims to shed light on how local laws must be changed to allow 24 hour expression of what the city does best: innovate, create, change the world.
- Business & Innovation-This is an interactive session on Detroit’s competitive advantage. Learn about the vision of the Detroit of Tomorrow, engage with those who are shaping the D!
- Business & Innovation-What are the skills needed as leaders in the future of work? How do we strengthen the critical skills that complement data and tech skills in the new economy ? Explore how to apply a human-centered design framework to your personal and professional leadership. This workshop will share key design thinking principles as well as needed leadership skills to keep us at our growth edge, while providing an interactive opportunity to think creatively and design new dynamics of your own leadership.
- Business & Innovation-What are 'diverse ways of thinking?' How can artistic intelligence help leaders produce innovative, imaginative ways of addressing 'wicked problems' or systemic issues?
Imagination is not one skill or muscle, but a system of capacities for perception, sensing, discernment, insight, activity, choice-making, and divergent synthesis. This interactive talk offers ways to think about a community or team's aggregate breadth of imagination, and suggests how artistic intelligence can catalyze more.
- Business & Innovation-Now very close friends, Chanell Scott Contreras and Joanna Dueweke-Perez originally had a difficult time building a working relationship. Coming from different lived experiences, races, and positions within the company, the two had to make the radical choice of inclusion in order to get things done together. That path, however, was hard AF and fraught with vulnerability. It's not enough to "be a good person."